September 16, 2009

Just Work It Mama!

Since I found out I was pregnant my body has gone awry. I'm consistently tired from after lunch until the end of dinner. My head feels airy. I'm dizzy and spaced out. Nausea hits every now and then these days. All these symptoms and more are so uncomfortable...but the most notable is my energy level that drops heavily by midday. After analyzing my new pregnancy lifestyle I figured out something that was very important to me which I lacked in my change: aerobic activity.

Before I got pregnant for baby two, I consider myself a healthy, active exerciser. I'd spend 5 days a week for at least 20 minutes doing a cardio activity at at least 60-70% my target heart rate (114 bpm) and spend around 20 minutes weight training. If I did anything less, my body would get slumpy and sluggish...and that's just what happened to me when I found out I was pregnant a second time. I got so sick into my first two months of pregnancy that I couldn't exercise anyways and my body grew tiresome. I felt like an invalid.

As my body healed from the weeks of infection, upset stomach, fever, and general illness I slowly got back into a doable workout routine...but my routine was so bland and easy that my body didn't like it. I thought that as a pregnant person I shouldn't work out hard like I used to. Last night proved me wrong. I decided to work it a little harder like old times: jogging, ellyptical training, lifting moderate weights. My body felt so good that I'm going to forget all these old wives tales and just be like I've always been: active!

Note: Pregnancy isn't the time to start running, although it's fine if you jogged regularly before getting pregnant. After the first trimester, avoid sit-ups and other exercises done while lying flat on your back — they can make you dizzy and decrease the blood flow to your uterus.


How am I feeling this week?
Energy: increasing compared to first month
Mood: happier now that school is back in session
Appetite: heftier...hooray
Cravings: not much
Sickness: tiredness about midday

Measurements
Weight: 144 lbs

No comments: