July 13, 2009

Handy Advice for Hand Dermatitis

As of July 13 2009, I've been diagnosed with hand eczema ~ a common rash usually resulting from a combination of sensitive skin and irritation/allergy from something I touched. Who knows what I'm allergic to and I'd love to find out. As a homemaker and preschool staff member (both jobs requiring constant hand washing) my hands are always in soaps and detergents at least a dozen times daily. I never realized until recently how my hands are really overused. I've learned the hard way to always protect the largest organ of the human body ~ the skin (especially the hands).

These are detailed instructions given by my dermatologist in protecting my hands ~ this is something I have to do as a daily regiment.

1. Protect your hands from direct contact with soaps, detergents, scouring powders, and similar irritating chemicals by wearing waterproof, heavy-duty vinyl gloves. My dermatologist prescribed me three (3) Allerderm heavy-duty vinyl gloves since I may have become allergic to rubber ~ and I need to keep a set in the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry areas for convenient routine use.

2. Heavy-Duty vinyl gloves are waterproof and unlined and should be used with washable cotton gloves to act as an absorbent liner. The heavy-duty gloves should be rinsed inside and out then air dried after each use. I should have enough waterproof gloves available to allow the insides of the gloves to dry between uses.

3. Wear waterproof gloves while peeling and/or squeezing lemons, oranges, grapefruit, potatoes, and handling tomatoes.

4. Wear leather or heavy-duty fabric gloves when doing dry work (such as playground set up) and gardening. I should dirty my gloves – not my hands. Since I keep house for the family, I'll have to scatter a dozen pairs of cotton gloves around the house and use them while doing dry housework. When they get dirty, put them in the washing machine. I'll only have to wash my gloves – not my hands.

5. I'll need to use my automatic dishwasher as much as possible. When I'm not, David will have to do the dishes. Same concept with laundry ~ do it by machine, not by hand.

6. Avoid direct contact with turpentine, paint thinner, and paints, as well as, floor, furniture, metal, and shoe polishes that contain irritating solvents. When using these products, wear disposable vinyl gloves.

7. When washing my hands, I need to use lukewarm water and a little mild soap. Rinse the soap off completely and dry gently. All soaps are irritating. No soap is “gentle to your skin” except in the minds of advertising writers – so don’t waste your money on special soaps or “soap-free” cleansers.

8. Rings often worsen dermatitis by trapping irritating materials. Remove your rings when doing housework and before washing your hands.

9. When in cold or windy weather, wear unlined leather loves to protect hands from drying and chapping.

10. Use only the prescribed medicines and lubricants. Do not use other lotions, creams, or medications – they may irritate my skin.

11. I have to protect my hands for at least four months after the dermatitis has healed. It takes a long time for skin to recover, and unless I'm careful the dermatitis may recur.

There is no fast, “magic” treatment for hand dermatitis. My skin must be given rest from irritation. So I need to follow these instructions carefully.

Allerderm PO Box 2070, Petaluma, CA 94953-2070

No comments: